- updated tomatoes section 8/6/16
- updated with a picture of all 5 tomatoes I am growing this year! see below 7/30/16
- updated with link to a zucchini and tomato salad - see below - 7/24/16
- updated with links to my easy zucchini lasagne recipe! 7/16/216
|Produce Garden 2016|
Here you will find notes, articles, and links to growing, picking, cooking, and canning produce type foods grown by hand and maintained by just two people with low amounts of chemicals (usual natural) Below is roughly in order of harvest!
- In 2016 I added a second "future" asparagus bed.
- A favorite way to eat asparagus here -->
|New Future Asparagus Bed|
- Zucchini and Yellow Squash
- My Quick, Easy, Zucchini Lasagne Recipe!
|Squash and Zucchini Bed|
- Make a salad with zucchini and tomatoes from your garden! -> here I added and used almonds, parsley, chick peas and balsamic vinaigrette instead of the suggested recipe.
|Zucchini and Tomato Salad|
- Squash Bugs!! We hear that many people just don't plant zucchini or squash because of squash bugs destroying their crops. We find the best ways to avoid them is to remove the eggs from the underside of leaves with duct tape and to kill adult squash bugs by hand after watering the plants. The adults seem to climb to the tops of leaves (maybe to get dry?) and they are then easy to spot! Here are two articles that may help you. http://www.almanac.com/pest/squash-bugs and http://thefreerangelife.com/control-squash-bugs/
|Zucchini w Green Beans just harvested|
Tomatoes Video (Roma, then Red Currant, then Brandywine, and finally Bloody Butcher)
- Yellow Pear
- Red Currant
Roma Tomatoes in foreground and 'Red Currant' cherry type tomatoe in background
- Brandywine - This is an heirloom tomato. For those that don't know an heirloom means you can save seeds from the fruit and replant next year! This seed is from my Father and have been replanted for over 10 years!
- This year we buried the tomato plants deeper into the ground (4" up the stem of the seedlings) and believe this helped make the large brandywine below.
A Giant 1 pound 1 ounce Brandywine
A Giant 1 pound 1 ounce 4.5" Brandywine
- Bloody Butcher
- 2015 Tomatoes
- drying and links to oregano uses! here-->
|Bee on Blue Globe Thistle|
|Bumble Bee on Blue Globe Thistle|
|Honey Bee on Scarlet Bee Balm|